Insurance is an important part of becoming and being a foster parent with Anchor. Scroll down to learn more.

Here's everything you need to know


As a foster parent, you will need to ensure you have the right level of insurance.

Talk to both your home and car insurance companies prior to placement, and they will be able to tell you what cover you need.

While you don’t need specialist home insurance, we do strongly recommend you inform your insurance company of your new career, as this may be considered a ‘change in circumstances’ that could affect your policy.

Here are some key questions our team recommend you ask, to make sure you are always protected and risk free.

Questions to ask:

  • Are there any restrictions, exclusions or reductions to the policy?
  • What is the process in claiming for foster carer insurance?
  • If I get a new placement or a placement leaves, do I need to inform you?
  • Do you cover accidental damage done by a foster child?
  • Do you cover intended damage done by a foster child?
  • Do you cover my foster child’s possessions?
  • Is there a limit to the number of foster children?
  • Is there a team dedicated to foster carer’s policy? If so, is there someone I can get advice from if needed?
  • Do I need to inform you if a foster child has a criminal background? / Does the policy cover this?


By asking these questions, you will get a better understanding and will help to ensure you get the right cover. It is also important to make sure that your insurer understands your role and get you the required cover.

One home insurance provider that specialises in home insurance for foster carers is Towergate Insurance.

With Anchor, you get a membership to The Fostering Network. New members get 10% off Towergate Insurance.